[VAL] killing batteries

We brought a '69 Caravel back to life. We didn't pull everything out and start
over, just patched and fixed. Now I wish we had stripped it to replumb and rewire.
But I digress. ..

Last year we put in a deep-cycle marine battery. Got ready to use the trailer
this summer and the battery had to be replaced. We used it two times; now that
battery needs to be replaced. Are we doing something that kills the batteries?
We will get this one replaced for a small fee but want to solve this rotating
battery problem. Any ideas?

Thanks

Jacqueline Tisdale