Re: [VAL] killing batteries

We had the same problem on our 1969 29' Intl Ambassador.

The problem?  The converter boiled the batteries, all of them.

The fix?  An automatic battery charger that will keep your battery topped of
but it won't kill it.  Of course, if you use a water battery you will be
responsible for adding distilled water as needed -- AND -- you must check on
the battery for better or worse on a routine basis.

Recently I opted to install 2 of the Blue Optima deep cycle marine batteries
that don't use water, don't use gel, they are made of rolled up all glass
mats and this lets you install the battery sideways if you need the
clearance.

The Optima batteries come with a great 3 year over the counter exchange, no
questions asked should they fail during that time.  After 3 years the time
is pro-rated and you pay for what you use towards the price of a new one.

Cost?  About $150.00 each or $300.00 for the pair of house batteries our 34'
Airstream needs.

The newer Airstreams have a converter that is "supposed to" charge the
batteries but not boil them and then it is "supposed to" keep the level of
charge up using some type of electronic circuitry.  Supposedly, I'm not at
all familiar with what is in our 34' Airstream as far as the converter is
concerned because to get to it I need to remove the shelf fastener NAILS,
then remove the shelf underneath the sink on our Front Kitchen model.  Yours
is in the curbside door if memory serves correctly.

Lots of people love the Charge Wizards that watch over their battery or
batteries and you can find them at Camping World.

Tom