Re: [VAL] Grey water tank

Jerry,
I am installing a new fresh water tank right in front
of the ront axle, and a grey water tank directly
behind the rear axle on my 1963 Overlander.
To do this properly, in my opinion, the main frame
channel, which is an open C-profile, should be
re-inforced. I enclosed mine with 3/16x4in flat steel,
and coated everything with POR15.
I deleted a cross member, and reinforced the before
and after crossmember at the new tanks.
A 2x2in angled steel bar will take car of floor flex
when walking around in the trailer, and the tanks will
have a groove in the top to accept this re-inforcement
bar.
My fresh tank will sit on a sub floor, held in place
by angle steel, just like in the 70's trailers. You
can get up to 50gal in there, wiht out much problem.
My grey tank will also be held by angle stell, but
without a floor. It will have recesses in the side,
which grab the angle iron and keep it in place.
The grey tank will hold about 60gal, if my
calculations are correct.
This will give us plenty of capacity in both tanks to
luxuriosly boondock for 2-3 days.
The new tanks will cost about $ 800.00 for both.
I recommend against adding any potentially heavy tanks
to unsupported frame rails. They are simply too weak
to hold any extra weight without long term damage.
I hope this helps!
Uwe Salwender
Orange, CA