Re: [VAL] A question for 1969 owners

Hi Glyn,

Since I have a '69 Safari, I thought to reply to your quest for answers.
Can't answer all, but a couple might help you out.

The original battery housing covering the battery allowed the hydrogen to be
vented outside.  The hose is just a vent tube and most likely the battery
housing was lost many years ago due to self destruction.  The best bet is to
buy a very expensive battery that is ventless and add a second. :)

Sure wish I knew what you were talking about the "right colored wires
unterminated".  The DC wiring should terminate in a fuse block that is
mounted to the inside of the rear hatch surround.  You'll need to verify
what voltage is on each and most likely need your tow vehicle and umbilical
connected.  The color code of '69 has no relationship to the current code.
You must have a service manual and/or the owner's manual.

Do you have the original charger?  The Intelli Power and controller are
great additions and weight 5 pounds rather than 50.

The floor rot at the rear comes from several failure to maintain the unit.
First, with the trim strip removed,  you'll notice that the water will wick
into the seam and directly onto the floor that is part of the sandwich.
Over time, it's history.  Same thing can happen up front and near the banana
curves where the outer skin terminates just above the floor (poor Airstream
engineering).  Other issues can be a leaky commode, roof vents, and so on.
Most likely you'll find that the skid rails are compromised and the holding
tank housing is almost history - must be fixed.  The cross members holding
the housing must be sound.  The foam is critical to the original design.
Hopefully it is not damaged.  When the housing allows the holding tank to
drop, the commode fitting in the tank usually cracks loose.  Replacing this
is a major job as I well know from experience.

If I were to do it again and not want to restore the trailer to it's
original design, I'd get a black water holding tank that sits on top of the
floor.  Depending on the layout, it could be in the corner or the center of
the bath.  Then, use the existing holding tank for gray water.  By removing
the charger and the original porcelain commode, you lose about the weight of
the new holding tank of near 12 gallons - maybe 96 pounds when full.  It
will seldom be full when you travel!

Sorry to keep the dialog so long, the the floor in the '69 is really a pain
in the ass.  The later models did not clinch the floor between the inverted
U channel, the bumper hatch plate, and the cross frame brace.  Best to do it
all right up front and not be disappointed later,

                                                          Regards, '69
Safari, Joy

In any event, the floor must be removed as well as the entire bath.
Replacing the pinched plywood is a real pain and can't be done without full
access.  Not a shell off, but .  .  .