[VAL] Re: Raising Pearl

Hi All,

Got home from Jackson Center last night (and from 2.5 months on the
road!). Spent two days there having my Flying Cloud raised about 4" and
a few other small repairs that make my life in Pearl a little easier.

What they did on the first day was flip the axle, which raised her
about 8", way too high. They towed her back to the terraport for me to
sleep in for the night and I had to jump up to get in! The stabilizers
were totally vertical when I lowered them! Next morning I was at the
office at 7am sharp to voice an objection but it was unnessessary, they
knew it. They then shortened the shackels which lowered it acheiving an
overall raise of 4". The mechanic's wife drove 40 miles round trip to
pick up four new U bolts for the springs that the plant didn't have. I
spent most of the two days in the bay with the mechanics and I know how
hard they worked to get it right. The tow home (12 hours) seemed
smoother somehow.

For the three nights I spent at the terraport I was parked next to the
new Pres. of the WBCCI, Jim Haddaway. He and his wife came over to my
54 FC to introduce themselves and get a look at Pearl. I liked them
immediatley! Wanted to make sure I was a member of the VAC. Very easy
to talk to and interested in my opinion of the WBCCI and wanted to know
about the VAC. I didn't remember that he had attended the VAC breakfast
in Vermont. He owns a 34ft. classic trailer and was the only trailer in
Presidents row at International. He and his wife, Janie, welcome new
ideas and encourage people to let them know what they think.

I can't believe the summer is over and I have to go back to school in a
week! I loved my time on the road, never felt cramped in a 21ft.
trailer! Wasn't ready to have it end. I did have one harrowing week at
the WDCU rally at the Outer Banks. One of my dogs, Nick, fell very ill
and spent a week at the animal hospital in Roanoke. The first three
days I thought he was a goner.  I was lucky to have been at a rally
with good friends who helped me through a very difficult week and
hugged me when I cried! I never felt alone and was so grateful for the
company of such warm and caring people. Belonging to the VAC and Units
makes every rally a personal experience, I won't change a moment of it!

Patti
Long Island, NY
1954 Flying Cloud
02 2500 Suburban