RE: [VAL] best tow vehicle

Greetings Don!

I can't help with the Ford side as I have never towed with anything
other than GM or Chrysler products.  While the new GMC Evoy/Chevrolet
Trailblazer can tow up to 7,000 pounds when properly equipped, if much
travel is planned in mountainous terrain I would "give the nod" to the
Chevrolet Tahoe/GMC Yukon 1500 series with the 5300 VORTEC as a minimum
tow vehicle for your 5,000 pound gorss weight Argosy 24.  If you are
accustomed to towing with the old 455/454/500 cubic inch GM powered
vehicles or the 460 cubic inch Ford/Mercury/Lincoln powered vehicles,
you might want to consider the 3/4-ton (2500 series) so that you an opt
for the larger displacement 8100 VORTEC.

Based on my experience with the '99 GMC Suburban 2500, it is far more
than I need when towing the Minuet (3,100 pounds) - - while it is the
least tow vehicle that I would want whent considering the power to
handle mountainous terrain when towing the Overlander (6,100 pounds).
The Suburban is a vehicle that I special ordered new from the dealer
with the 10,000 pound heavy duty trailer tow package, and 131,000 miles
later I am still absolutely thrilled with how it handles the chores that
I ask it to perform.  (I wouldn't recommend the four-wheel-drive as it
is the only system that has caused me any trouble in the time that I
have had the vehicle - - so far, it is on its eighth electronic control
board for the transfer case.)

Good luck with your research and tow vehicle selection!

Kevin

Kevin D. Allen
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban
1978 Argosy Minuet
1975 Cadillac Convertible (towcar in-training)
WBCCI/VAC #6359