Re: [VAL] best tow vehicle

Don,

The best tow vehicle is a DodgeFordGMCChevrolet, longshort wheelbase,
regularcrew cab, longshort bed, gasdiesel pickup or a
DodgeFordGMCChevrolet suv.

Seriously, what kind of vehicle do you want?  A pickup has utility value
other than towing, you are asked to help friends move and tote stuff for
them.  An SUV will carry more people in comfort, but does not have the
bulk carrying capacity.  An older car has character, but not everyone
wants to deal with the higher maintenance requirements.

I have not located a new car with a tow rating of more than 3500 lbs,
therefore a new car is out of the question.  For 5000 lbs, you probably
need a car built before 1980, although I have been told that some GM
cars in the 80's have 5000 lbs tow ratings.

Bill Kerfoot
WBCCI/VAC #5223
1979 23' Safari
1977 Lincoln Continental