Re: [VAL] Hitch problems

Hi All-

    I've had good luck with using "RTV" or silicon rubber sealant or
adhesive instead of the LocTite... I've been putting it on the threads &
heads of the bolts and under the bolt/washer/nut. You can leave a little dab
as a 'witness' reference to see if the bolt or nut has turned or backed off.

    I don't think it would be a problem with the torque values I've seen
mentioned here, but -if- the bolts were torqued by a 21 year old gorilla
using the "Armstrong Method", -they could have been stretched, -not a good
situation either. I guess if I had any doubts about -who- torqued the bolts,
and 'how much', I would invest in some new ones, either from the mfgr., or
when I got the specs from them.

    What would the cost of a 'breakaway' be, compared to the cost of the
parts & labor to prevent it?

    For whutits worth-    Jack