RE: [VAL] Hitch problems

Gerald,
Your comment regarding LocTite is precisely why I have avoided using it on
the receiver attachment nuts.  While I don't have any plans to drop the
receiver off the vehicle, I don't want to preclude that ability.  Even if
the nuts had previously been torqued to spec and secured with LocTite,
should something, such as frame channel compression occur, the tension on
the bolt would no longer be at the spec and this could lead to slight
movement of the receiver while towing, which could lead to more serious
issues over time.

With all the issues of cold welds cracking on many receivers (primarily
factory units), the need to drop the receiver for repairs and/or replacement
is a potential (fortunately, my particular brand of receiver, Drawtite/Reese
Dual-Port, has not been reported as among the offenders, nor has mine shown
any signs of cracked welds).  I also use my 150ft lb rate, 1/2" socket drive
to check the torque on the aluminum rims of the trailer and the truck as
well as the bolts on the Hensley Arrow.  A very handy tool to have in the
arsenal.

David Tidmore