[VAL] Re: VAL Digest V1 #331

Here's information on replacement tires and wheels from our experience doing
this last year.

August, 12, 2004

Subject:  Replacement wheels and tires

We have replaced the wheels and tires on our Airstream Trailer last year.  I
'll give some background on the subject, then some explanation of our
solution.

Background

Our trailer is a 1964 Airsteam Overlander, a 26 foot model, riding on four
tires and wheels.  Original tires were 7.00X15.  The original wheels were
split rim.  With these, the last time we had a flat fixed we found it
difficult to locate a mechanic that serviced split rim wheels.  The tires
were over 25 years old, presumably due for replacement.  It appeared to be
time to get new wheels concurrent with the tires.  As the 7.00X15 is a high
profile tire which is not readily available now, it appeared appropriate to
go to a 16" or 17" wheel to allow a tire size with the same diameter and
similar width.

Tires on the trailer (set of four) which we were replacing

Dayton Thorobred Super EMT    nylon cord

8 ply rating (equivalent to Load Range D)

Spare (not originally with the trailer)

Goodyear Travel Trailer Hi-Miler    nylon cord

Load range C

These are bias ply tires.  Wheel for the spare was not split rim; checking
it with a caliper shows rim width to be 6 inches.  Rough measurements on the
split rim wheels indicates a rim width of either 6 or 6 = inches.

Wheels are six lug, 5 = inch bolt circle.  Gauge of material and
construction give the appearance that they were designed for a load capacity
of somewhere in the range of 2,000 to 2,500 pounds per wheel.  Wheels are
black, with 'Baby Moon' hubcaps.

I found some old specifications for 7.00X15 radial ply tires.  Presumably
these approximately match the bias ply for load capacity and physical size.
The dimensions seem to match what I measure on my tires.

Overall Diameter                                                   29.4 to
29.7 inches, depending on manufacturer and series.

Section width on 6.0 inch wide rim                    7.8 to 8.2 inches

Tread width                                                           5.8
inches typical

Load capacity per tire

load range C                                                          1720
lbs

load range D                                                         2040
lbs

Of current (i. e., used on a significant selection of 2003 light trucks)
light truck tires the one which appears to come closest for sidewall width
and overall diameter is the 225/75R16.  Typical characteristics are:

Overall Diameter                                                   29.3
inches

Section width on 6.0 inch wide rim                    9.1 inches

Section width on 7.0 inch wide rim                    9.5 inches

Tread width                                                           6.4
inches

Load capacity per tire

load range C                                                          1966
lbs

load range D                                                         2335
lbs

These seem to have become a de facto standard for 'one ton' light trucks
with dual rear wheels.  I expect that they would also be common on smaller
motor homes with dual rear wheels.  The 225/75R16 is typically available in
several series from each major tire manufacturer and is widely stocked
(unlike the 7.00x15).

The trailer wheel wells appear able to accommodate installation and removal
of tires with sidewall widths up to approximately 10 inches maximum.

Solution

We got a set of five 16 inch wheels with 6 inch wide rims and a set of five
225/75R16 tires for our trailer.  I've selected the 6 inch rim because it
provided best clearance for fitting the trailer's wheel well.  We ordered
wheels with the same offset as the original wheels.  I. e., track of the
trailer is unchanged.  Wheel were ordered black (powder finish), with baby
moon hubcaps from the same supplier.

Wheels and hubcaps were ordered from a company named Wheel Vintiques.  The
wheels were ordered with an offset to match the original wheels, not their
standard offset.  This was no problem, it just needs to be specified when
ordering.  Information on their products is available at the following
website:  http://www.wheelvintiques.com/

Wheels  -  same as series 12 smoothie P/N 12-660604 except with 3 1/4 " rear
spacing (also called backspace).

These were ordered with the black powder coating finish (tougher than
paint).  This is a 16x6 wheel (16 inches diameter, 6 inch wide rim), six
lugs on 5 = inch bolt circle (standard for most Airstream wheels).  (I
believe some small trailers used 4 lug and 5 lug wheels).

Hubcaps  -  P/N 1008.  This is a moon style hubcap like what came originally
on our trailer.

(You have to read their catalog very carefully to figure out that this is
the correct hubcap for the above wheels.)

Tires were a line of Cooper light truck tires, size 225/75R16, Load Range D.

Everything fit; there were no clearance problems installing the new tires
and wheels.  And, unlike some of the recent Emails related to this subject,
the wheels are true.  We have maintained original ground clearance of the
trailer, so there should be no increase of clearance problems in rough
campgrounds, and no hitch adjustments were necessary.  We got 5 wheels,
tires, and hubcaps (one spare) so everything would stay matched when we
needed to use the spare tire.

The smooth black wheels (i. e., non-spoked style) match the appearance of
original equipment wheels and hubcaps used on Airstreams in the 1950s and
1960s).  We now own a digital camera.  If someone wants to see pictures,
send me a separate Email requesting such.

NOTE 1:  As I got VERY excellent service, I'll tell you where I got them,
too.  I bought these at the Les Schwab Tire Center in South Everett.  This
store is known as both the Murphy's Corner Les Schwab and the Mill Creek Les
Schwab.

Phone:  425-337-6373.

Address:  13223 Bothell Everett Hwy

The person who handled the ordering of the wheels, hubcaps, and tires was
Trevor (store manager); the person who did the installation and otherwise
helped was Jeremy.  I felt that having a knowledgeable store person handle
ordering of the wheels, hubcaps, and tires would help ensure that items that
came in were right (and it was the store's responsibility if they weren't).

NOTE 2:  We keep an inflation pressure of 45 psi in our trailer tires.  This
gives them a combined load capacity greater than our trailer's maximum laden
weight, and is less than the maximum pressure for the tires.  I feel that
this combination helps to maximize tire life.  Also, during times of trailer
storage between trips, to maximize tire life do NOT park on dirt.  Park with
the tires on drained pavement (i. e., a place where there are no water
puddles around tires after rain), or on blocks set with the tops above
ground level.  Try to provide some shading of tires from sun exposure.

P. S.

In the 1950s and early 1960s Airstream had some moderately large trailers
(between 20 and 30 feet; I'm not sure what the actual sizes were) with
single axles which used 7.50X15 tires.  This size appears to have been
unavailable for some time.  From data that I have it appears that dimensions
for these would be as follows:

Overall Diameter
approximately 30.8 inches

Section width on 6.0 inch wide rim                    8.2 to 8.7 inches

Tread width                                                           5.8 to
6.4 inches typical

Load capacities for different load ranges (ply ratings) would be somewhat
higher than listed above for the same load ranges for the 7.00X15.

Changing to 16 inch wheels as above, the following readily available light
truck tire size is the one which appears to come closest for sidewall width
and overall diameter is the 215/85R16.  Typical characteristics are:

Overall Diameter                                                   30.5
inches

Section width on 6.0 inch wide rim                    8.7 inches

Tread width                                                           6.2
inches

Load capacity per tire

load range D                                                         2335
lbs

load range E                                                          2680
lbs  *

Alternatively, the 245/75R16 is a readily available light truck tire is one
which appears to come close for sidewall width and overall diameter and may
be more likely to be available for a long time than the 215/85R16.  For the
245/75R16 typical characteristics are:

Overall Diameter                                                   30.5
inches

Section width on 6.0 inch wide rim                    9.3 inches

Section width on 7.0 inch wide rim                    9.8 inches

Tread width                                                           7.2
inches

Load capacity per tire

load range C                                                          2205
lbs

load range E                                                          3042
lbs  *

If you have the clearance between the wheel well opening and the brake drum
to allow installation of  the wider tires in the wheel well, Wheel Vintiques
wheel part number 12-670604 is a 7 inch wide Smoothie which has the correct
standard rear spacing for Airstreams, and uses the same hubcap as above.
(Order wheels with black powder finish.)  These wheels are also compatible
with the 225/75R16 tires and could be used on trailers with more
installation clearance than ours.

*  These tire load capacities (load range E tires) are probably higher than
the load capacities of the Wheel Vintiques wheels.  If you buy these tires
to use with the above wheels, do not inflate to maximum pressure (80 psi).
I would suggest not exceeding 60 psi with any of the above tires.

The 215/85R16 seemed to have been a de facto standard for 'one ton' light
trucks with dual rear wheels and smaller motor homes with dual rear wheels
in the 1990s.  The 245/75R16 was commonly used on > and 1 ton light trucks
in the 1990s.  The 215/85R16 and 245/75R16 are typically available in
several series from each major tire manufacturer and are widely stocked.

Lauren Countryman
WBCCI # 23352