[VAL] My MTV Airstream visit

    All,

   We've lived in the same house for over 20 years and lived in town since
1976 but never since it's installation in the MTV lobby have we ventured in
to see the 1958-8 Airstream.

    Well today was the day.  We're only six blocks away from there the
assisted living facility our respective parents live is only one block from
MTV.  Marilyn and I started out with her mother to visit the Airstream.  Mom
got half a block and turned around so we went on.  Obviously I couldn't take
any photos of it but did find reference to it on the Airstream Company web
site http://www.airstream.com/company/history_04.html

    It was fun sticking our heads in and seeing all the neat appointments
she had.   Retro 1950's motif anyone?  What fun, Zolatone sp? and all.

    The door frame between the inner and outer skin was cut at the top and a
length of flat extrusion added to make the opening about five feet wide.  It
gives one the feeling of being inside while only viewing from the outside.

    Airstream details were fun to note although I'm not too up on what's
original and what's not.  I saw a much coveted (by me) fresh water tank cap,
(no knurling on the edges), split safety rims, two old propane tanks on the
front dated 1958 and 1959 and way cool marker and tail lights.

    Those lights are always on and from time to time when I've driven by in
the evening, a few will always be burned out.  I'd bet that he annual bill
for replacement bulbs would probably pay for my Gaucho restoration.

    Anyway, no earth shattering news, no project news, just thought I'd
share what we did this afternoon.

    Later,

    Glyn