Re: [VAL] Nitrogen gas

The only reason the phone co is using nitrogen is that is is Air Core
cable.
They pump DRY AIR form central sites down the cable at about 5 psi.
This is to keep the water out.
When you see the nitrogen tank along the road they have an air leak and
they are too busy that week to fix it.   It is a very costly stop-gap
way to
buy some time.
Nitrogen has nothing to do with longer life.

Getting on to tires.    I think the reason that race car drivers us it
is for the same
reason... Not for longer life but it is a DRY type of air.   In a race
care the tires
will get Very hot and if you had any water or moisture in them it would
boil and
make steam... This would cause the tire to have too much air in it and
blow out.

Nitrogen is the major part of the air we breath and it is easy to
compress into a
tank, around 2000 psi.  Now that makes it easy to transport this Dry
Air to fill
tires or phone cables.

See You On the Road
Dean & Kay