Re: [VAL] NorthStar 10,000 Watt, 18 HP Generator

Thanks, that's with the pallet and cardboard. ;)  Now, if I could fit it
onto the tongue of the trailer ....

I'm giving some thought to seeing if I could get this 10kw generator and
swap it with the one I have wired into my home which is 5.5kw with a 9 HP
Honda GX series engine.  Depends on the width of the generator frame.

The Honda GX series engines run pretty quietly -- have had one on our house
for over 10 years and we use it many times per year during ice storms or
other outages.  It's on the back screened porch outside of the kitchen and
it lets me use almost every appliance in our  house except the central a/c,
range, big stuff like that.  However, every room has a light and all the
ceiling fans run.  To make hot water I just don't run other stuff for an
hour or so and that will hold us for days -- same thing with the well water
pump since we have an 85 useful gallon fresh water tank for the house.

Our Airtream only *needs* about a 4kw generator to be able to use the roof
a/c and other small-draw appliances.  If I had over 5kw to use then I could
also use the microwave at the same time the roof a/c is on.

The *main reason* I want, need a generator on our Airsteam is *because* we
travel with our pets (4 dogs) and I have to have reliable cooling during the
hotter months of the traveling season.  Also, a generator would allow us to
stay in places that don't have any hookups at all -- such as a quick
sleeping stop at Wal*Mart, etc.

Granted, a generator is a luxury item, not one everyone wants, needs or can
afford when it's needed or wanted for that matter.  But the cost of that big
10kw unit is only about $200 more than I paid for my 5.5kw with the Honda
engine well over ten years ago.  The 5.5 holds over 6 gallons, the 10kw unit
holds ten gallons of gas.

I'd really love to find a small, water-cooled diesel engine that runs at
1800 RPM directly coupled to at least a 5kw generator.  So far the diesels
I've see have been expensive.  I still have to check out the surplus
government stuff before I nix that idea.

Tom