[VAL] NorthStar 10,000 Watt, 18 HP Generator

http://www.industrialtoolstore.com/n/NorthStar/-200200124.htm

This is a tough deal to beat, it's "on sale" at Northern Tool which used to be
known as Northern Hydraulics of MN.

Highly efficient 18 HP Honda GX OHV engine has electric start, Low Oil
ShutdownT and cast iron sleeve.  The Honda GX series is the best made for
these applications; these are the *red* Honda engines.  Honda now makes a
lesser line of engines that are *black* in color -- designed for lighter duty
and they cost less as well.

This generator comes with an electrical outlet panel and some free plugs -
Includes NEMA 5-20R, NEMA L5-30R and NEMA L14-30R twistlock receptacles and
NEMA 14-50R straight blade.

The warranty runs for 2 years.  Dimensions are:  35.75in.L x 24.18in.W x
26.25in.H

At 24.18 inches wide it's doubtful that this particular generator would sit
behind my propane tanks on the A-frame of our Airstream trailer.  Maybe I
could 'lift' the LP tanks or move them so they'd straddle the A-frame like a
pair of saddlebags? ;)  If one decided to get a nice generator like this one
for the "low" cost versus making your own there has to be a way to build it
into your trailer exterior.

I've looked at the ones from Onan which is now made in Canda and I'm not happy
with those high prices - priced where I saw them in US dollars.  Those
"little" Onan gen-sets are nowhere near the generator that this Honda powered
setup is.

A generator like this one could easily be "installed" into a sound-proofed box
and with the supply of 120vac receptacles it would be easy to set up some AC
powered fans to keep this unit cool - and quiet.  It doesn't say here whether
or not this Honda engine is 1 or 2 cylinders so I can only assume that it is a
single cylinder right now.

I can buy a 5kw or more powerful generator head for less than $400 and then
add a Honda engine of at least 11 HP to the cost and I'm not sure I'd be too
far ahead of the game when I find prices like this 10kw, 18 HP Honda generator
"on sale".  The gas tank on this unit is 10 gallons which will run for more
than a day on full power which would not be necessary with any Airstream
trailer even if you had 2 of the bid air conditioner units onboard.

Well, I said I'd report back so I guess I've done so now.  I'm still going to
mull over the idea of finding a generator head of at least 5kw capacity and
then see about finding a Honda engine of at least 11 HP to add to it.  Well
see what happens.

If there was a way to add and remove this 10kw, 18 HP Honda generator so you'd
only have to take it along during the hot summer months or boondocking at
times I think it would be ideal.  I wonder how much it weighs?  I'd guess
about 300# or so.

Tom
WBCCI 5303