Re: [VAL] tetford stool leak

Hi P & M,

Subject: Re: [VAL] tetford stool leak

Sorry that I haven't been paying much attention to the thread except to note
that it's been going on for quite a spell and doesn't seem to be resolved.
Maybe my experience will give you another area to investigate.

I think most commodes have the flush valve that cracks/leaks and fails.
Just the nature of plastic.  I replaced mine without a problem, but made
provisions for a shutoff valve and Quest union and PEX just in case.  That
fixed, I found that the commode leaked every time it was flushed.  With the
commode completely disassembled, I found a reservoir at the top of the
commode that is intended to hold about 8 ounces of water.  When the supply
is shut off, this water drains into the bowl.  You might guess that there's
a pressure actuated valve in the top of the reservoir.  When the water
starts for the flush, the valve stays closed as long as the water flows.
When the water flow stops, the valve opens (a vacuum break) and allows the
water to drain into the bowl.  Only problem is that the rubber valve
deteriorates and doesn't seal well or not at all.  Meaning that the water
sprays out the top of the reservoir as long as there is water flow.
Everything is wet and it's almost impossible to tell where the leak is.
Since I was also stuck with a unique commode that is not replacible, I opted
to by-pass the reservoir.  My commode model has a spray and keeping a little
water in the bowl simple.  Other areas of concern are the very old tygon
tube and clamps that may leak.  To restore a commode takes a lot of careful
replacement so as not to strip holes and/or break off fittings.  Note where
silicone and plumbers putty were used in the original assembly.

May not be your problem, but .  .  .

                                                          '69 Safari, Joy