[VAL] Dump valve in 1960 Pacer

Gang,

We haven't been able to use the toilet in our 1960 Pacer because the
sewage dump valve leaks like a sieve.  I finally got around to looking
at it today and got a surprise.

After removing the access panel in the belly pan and cleaning out
insulation, cobwebs, and an old wasp nest, I was happy to find that the
black tank is fiberglass and appears to be in fine shape.  There are no
signs of leakage, and no rot in the plywood floor under the black tank.

Recent discussions on the list indicate that the bronze black tank dump
valves Airstream used in the 60s were attached to the tank by studs and
nuts, but this is not the case on our Pacer. The dump valve looks like a
standard two inch bronze gate valve, except that it is actuated by the
usual square aluminum push-pull rod leading to a T handle sticking out
the side of the belly pan.  The valve appears to be screwed to a
threaded fitting built into the black tank.  Below the valve is the
expected sanitary tee for the gray water, which threads into the outlet
side of the valve.

The valve looked good externally so I thought maybe I could replace the
seals (whatever they are) without having to remove the valve.  Removing
the valve will be tricky for two reasons: (1) the tank fitting probably
won't stand too much torque, and (2) one flat of the hexagonal top of
the valve casting is right up against the edge of the cutout in the
plywood flooring.  To turn the valve it will be necessary to trim away
the interfering floor with a chisel or rotary tool--hopefully without
damaging the black tank.

I also discovered that the valve will only open about half way.  The
valve seems to be in good shape aside from a need for new gaskets,
packing, or whatever, and I had no trouble unscrewing the spindle
packing nut and the threaded cover that holds the works in.  But the
valve will still open only half way, and I can't get the mechanism out.

It seems like I ought to be able to replace whatever I need to without
removing the valve, if I can get the moving parts out through the side.
But something inside the valve seems to be preventing this.

Questions for the list:  Has anybody seen a dump valve like this
before?  How does it come apart and what does it need in the way of
seals?  I can email pictures to anybody who wants to see them.

Thanks,

John Sellers
WBCCI/VAC #1587
1960 Pacer