RE: [VAL] towing with a Bravada

Greetings Ed!

My information indicates that the 4,500 pounds is the empty weight of
your Overlander - - it is within about 200 pounds of the empty weight of
my '64 Overlander.  With options, fluids, and personal possession; the
actual gross towing weight of my '64 Overlander is between 6,000 and
6,100 pounds.  When loaded for a vacation, your Overlander will be
approaching 1,000 pounds in excess of the trailer tow limit for the
Bravada and probably would place you significantly above the Gross
Combined Vehicle Weight Rating for the Bravada as well. If the Bravada
is similar to the Blazer, I believe that the owners' manual also places
a maximum on hitch weight as well that would also be a potential problem
with a rig the size of the Overlander (the loaded Gross Hitch Weight on
my Overlander is over 700 pounds).

In checking the Airstream Weights and Measures page, a '69 27'
Overlander has an empty weight of 4,525 and an empty hitch weight of 490
pounds.  See:

http://www.airstream.com/airstream/product_line/customer_service/docs/weights-1.pdf

I have tried towing my '79 Minuet with my father's S-10 Blazer with the
4.3 Liter and heavy duty trailer towing package.  Quite honestly, I
wouldn't want any more length behind the Blazer and the weight of the
Minuet (3,100 pounds Gross Weight with 525 pounds Hitch Weight) seemed
to be toward the maximum that would be "comfortable" with the Blazer - -
this was in the rolling hills of Southern Illinois and Missouri.

Good luck with your investigation and decision!

Kevin D. Allen
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban
1978 Argosy Minuet
1975 Cadillac Convertible (towcar in-training)
WBCCI/VAC #6359