RE: [VAL] Internet on the road

At last, something I know about.  Hurray, I can stop feeling like a leech
now!

If you have Verizon, which seems to be the preferred vendor for people
wanting to connect from the road, you must purchase a mobile office kit
which is particular to your brand and model of phone.  This kit will connect
the phone to your laptop via a USB port. Your laptop's modem is not involved
in this connection.

Once the software that comes with the kit is installed and the phone
connected, you will have two alternatives available to you to connect.  The
faster of the two (approx. 115Kb) is the Express Network (sometimes called
the 1XRTT network).  The other is the Quick 2 Net which runs at 14.4Kb.

Depending on the plan you have, you will be charged by Verizon per Megabyte
that you download from the Express Network.  The Quick 2 Net is only charged
as minutes off of your monthly allocation.

I've been using this setup for about a year now when I am on the road and
have found it very useful for checking email and doing some minimal web
surfing.

My laptop also has wireless networking built in so I tend to use that if it
is available as it is much faster.

Best of luck and here I go back to lurking again.

Regards,

Bob Hupp