Re: [VAL] awning channel

    Charlie,

    Thanks for the link to the valuable exploded view of the Zip Dee
hardware.  The part I have looks like item #11B without the angular corners
and definitely only 1/2" between the legs.  I just went out back to look for
the three-hole pattern you speak of and saw nothing.  I even went out again
with a step ladder to see if I were missing it from the ground.  There is no
sign of previous hardware mounted above, either fore or aft in line with the
bottom brackets.  I did see a C channel up there the length of the distance
of the bottom brackets 7' 9 1/2" long (remember, this is a tiny Caravel).

    I'm beginning to wonder if there wasn't a totally different design
awning there that required setup for each use.  I pulled a rotted length of
round fabric from the C channel after removing a stainless steel screw (both
ends) through the C to keep the fabric in there.

    Could it be that an awning, stowed aboard would have been threaded into
the C channel and two support arms then put into place, engaging the bottom
brackets with guy wires and tent stakes pounded into the ground to hold the
whole thing in place?

    Does any of this have merit or is my imagination running way too
wild.....again?

    By the way, the rope sewed into the canvas edge is referred to in
sailing circles as a luff rope.  Some sails are fitted to the mast, fore
stay extrusion or boom slots utilizing this luff rope concept.

    All ideas and facts welcome,

    Glyn