Re: [VAL] Adding Gray Water Tank

Hi Dan,

I have a '69 Safari with rear bath.  Most likely your layout is different
than mine; however, my commode is on the street corner with the outlet
dropping inside the frame and into the existing black water tank.  The gray
water joins the outlet right outside the gate valve for the black water.  If
I were to add a gray water tank, I'd use the existing tank as the gray water
only.  There are corner black water tanks that sit in the corner.  The
commode sits on a platform on top of the tank.  Having  your commode on the
curb side certainly complicates things as  you'd need to run a drain across
the bumper hatch, hopefully to join with the gray water outlet.  Should be
simple to drop the dump through the floor outside the frame as is the layout
for many Airstreams.  Personally, I think the above floor black water tank
is the best option.   Putting the gray water tank under the shower would
complicate drains.

Just use a short form commode to replace the tall form and you might have
the head room you are looking for?  Though, a tilt steering wheel might be
more practical.

I lessened the aft axle weight by changing out the water heater ( gained
50#s), the charger (gained 50#s), and the ceramic Thetford (gained about
20#s), and the weight is more than I'd expect from a full black water tank
(8 gallons Xs 8.5 pounds per gallon).  Then, it's a seldom occasion when
travel would be with the black and gray water tanks full.  Though boon
docking makes dumping pretty difficult at times.  I usually travel with the
potable water tank nearly full, so weight distribution shouldn't be a
problem.

Also, the new Dexter axle I bought is rated at 10% more than OEM Henchen
specification.  I'd be sure your torsion axles are in good shape as you are
in the years that Henchen had trouble with deterioration of the torsion
rubber.

Don't know what other suggestions you'll get, but this is my thought and
I'll attempt it if and when I get tired of the blue boy or I develop a
problem with the existing black water tank.  :)

                                                            Regards, '69
Safari, Joy