[VAL] Black holding tank

Let me start this out by saying that I am very new to all of this. I
have a Safari 1963 ,that I bought on e-bay a few week ago.To put it
mildly it smells bad.I think the odor is coming form the black
holding tank.No one in my family has ever used that "John" in any
form.I've had this trailer for about two months and have been
working on it as time and money allows ( new A/C.new curtains,.new
floor covering,new upholstery and on and on)I did fill up the black
holding tank to make sure it didn't leak and that the valves were
working .But it was only with plain water from garden hose.I did
this a couple of times.And it seemed to work fine.After many dollars
and much time My family spent our first night camping out it the
front yard.It was about all I could do to stay.Also the CO2 monitor
keep going off.The gas is turned of fat the tanks and the only thing
on was the ref. and it was ruining on electricity( it too is new).
I've put some stuff in the black holding tank that we use for our
 turn out gear here at the fire station and this seems to help a
little.The stuff I used is supposed to get the stink out.But I don't
know.So if anyone can clue me in ,help. Thanks,Tom B.