Re: [VAL] 12V power system

Wayne,

Like you I own a pre univolt trailer. Like you my battery usage is modest by
modern standards. My biggest draw is a forced air furnace. To help
compensate for the large furnace draw I have replaced my 12V (normal
household size) bulbs with 12V florescent (warm cathode) bulbs to help
conserve my old style tractor type battery. Until  4 years ago the ONLY
source to charge the trailer's battery was via the unbilical to the tow
vehicle. Since then I have wired in a $20 automotive battery charger and
plug it in as needed. You can run the charger with 12V items running. It
works well for me and was considerably cheeper than what most people on the
list are using. Just remember to unplug the charger once the battery is
topped off. On nights when the furnace is running (and I am plugged in to
115V) I will leave the charger plugged in on the low setting. Seems to work
well. I have not had to add water to the battery and I have not yet needed
to replace it.

I don't dry camp more than one night in a row in cold weather without a full
day's travel with which the tow vehicle can charge the battery back up. My
old style battery and automotive charger does just fine for my needs.

Scott Scheuermann
1960 Overlander