[VAL] 12V power system

I am getting ready to update my electrical system.  It seems that the
Intellipower w/battery tender is a preferred update.  What I can't really
understand is why I need a converter at all, must less a "small" 30 or 40
amp unit.  I have a 62 Bambi.  Besides the waterpump, all my 12V lights
combined don't add up to more than 10 amps or so, and it's unlikely I would
have them all on anyway.

It would seem to make more sense to run the 12V devices directly from the
12V battery, and just keep a 3 stage 5A or so battery charger maintaining
the battery.  Since this is not the way RV's are typically done, I must be
missing some obvious point.  I don't particularly object to the cost of the
converter, but I don't want to buy something that isn't needed!  I have an
Optima yellow top battery.

I do have a larger inverter that will drain the battery, but the converter
part of the Intellipower apparently doesn't charge the battery, and won't
help the battery recover at all.  The charger is a separate, lower power
circuit.

All comments appreciated,

Wayne