Re: [VAL] Shock Absorber/Brake refit

Dr. G,
I had a look at Monroe #94005 when I was searching for shocks for my 59
Ambassador and found them to be larger in diameter than the Monroe #55850
that I finally purchased. I was concerned that #94005 shock would rub on the
chassis.  Overall length of #94005 was the same as #55850 as well. I also
checked the length of the shocks on my 66 Safari and they appear to be the
same as what was originally on the 59 Ambassador (leaf spring suspension) so
I would imagine #55850 would also fit vertical shocked Henshen Axled
trailers as well.
I also replaced the complete electric brake assembly on the 59 Ambassador at
the same time. After quite a bit of research and comparing my axles with
what is available today, along with current weight ratings, I discovered the
following:
 Modern 3500 lb axles are 2 3/8" dia and have 10" dia drums with 2 1/2 "
wide shoes. Some of these drums are available with  six studs which match
the Airstream wheel however many are five stud.
Modern 6000 lb axles are 3" dia and have 12" dia drums with 2" wide shoes.
My 59 Ambassador has 2 1/2" dia axle which I am assuming was the 3500 lb
axle standard back in 59, however it also has 12" dia drums with 2" wide
shoes. I didn't really want to downsize my brakes even if current axle
ratings use smaller components.  I took a chance and ordered Dexter 6000 lb
brake assembly/backing plates from www.rigidhitch.com    pt# 23-106 (rh
side) and pt# 23-105 (lh side) and they bolted right onto my vintage axles
without any modifications at all. The center hole, bolt pattern fit the drop
axle flange and offset matched perfectly with the original Airstream drum.
With these brakes on a tandem axle trailer weighing in dry at only 3700 lbs
along with the tow vehicle rated at 8600 gvwr, this rig  will pretty much
stop on a dime. I have been very pleased with my choices.
Hopefully this helps out others with their brake & shock............. woes.
Colin
PS If anyone is interested in photos of the conversion, email me off list
and I'll send you the "before" & "after"