Re: [VAL] Pre-wired AC in '63 Safari?

Greetings Shawn!

According to my notes, most Airstreams were pre-wired and braced for Air
Conditioning beginning with the 1961 model year.  Again, according to my
notes, the built-in drain tube for the condesate pan wasn't added to this
standard pre-install until either the 1965 or 1968 models (my notes have
conflicting references - - one to '65 and one to '68).  I know that my '64
had the Air Conditioner either factory or dealer installed when it was brand
new, and its condesate tube was attached to the ceiling and ran along one of
the bulkheads, through a cabinet and down along the wall separating the
bedroom from the kitchen then through the floor.  You can identify whether
your coach was pre-wired by checking the fuse or circuit breaker box for an
unused 20-AMP circuit - - this would be the circuit provided for the air
conditioner - - the actual wiring terminated at a point in the ceiling as
measured from the front main bow - - point on roof where front dome joins
the main roof - - this point varied from model-to-model and from
year-to-year to some extent but the measurement should be available from
either the Airstream factory or a knowledgeable Vintage Friendly Airstream
dealer.

If the air conditioner that you are planning to install is an original
Vintage Armstrong Bay Breeze, you will need to be prepared for the fact that
it will not be as easy as the typical installations with the modern units.
The Bay Breeze was a two-part unit with tubes connecting the interior and
exterior units - - it is my understanding that when the two units are
separated that it is necessary to have the freon evacuated and replaced to
insure proper functioning.  The Bay Breeze air conditioners, at least the
1960s models, did not install in a square or rectangular cut-out - - rather
there were either two or three round holes cut through the roof and ceiling
that accommodated the tubes that connected the interior and exterior units.

The weight added by an air conditioner is typically in the vicinity of 100
pounds - - most will be carried by the axles with about 10 to 15 pounds
added to the hitch weight - - this is based upon a chart of weights from my
mid-1970s Argosy literature.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI/VAC #6359
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.10
Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter
V8/2.70 Final Drive)