Re: [VAL] answer to questions from my introduction debut

Greetings Cathy!

Welcome to the world of Vintage Airstream ownership, and the world of the
'64 Overlander International!

>From the window layout on your coach, the original interior layout would
have included the center double-bed layout.  My '64 Overlander has the
center twin-bed layout which places the curbside windows in different
locations as well as the kitchen.

Regarding your question about furniture.  In the Vintage Airstreams, the
furniture was built by Airstream to fit the dimensions of the coach in much
the same way that custom cabinets are fitted in home kitchens today - - the
material was cabinet grade veneered plywood.  Unlike many of today's
coaches, there weren't complex folding mechanism on the front lounge nor
would I expect to find them on the side convertible-lounge on the double-bed
configured coach (I have never really examined the side-double bed folding
mechanism as most of the Overlanders that I have come in contact with have
had the center twin-bed arrangement).  To get an idea of what the original
cabinets looked like in a center-twin Overlander International Land Yach,
you can find photos of my coach at Airstreamphotos.com at the address below:

http://www.airstreamphotos.com/photos/showgallery.php/ppuser/827/cat/500

There are some photos of both before and after restoration.  Just be
prepared that the photos are somewhat mixed together with those of my
Minuet.

The appliances utilized by Airstream in '64 were standard industry issue,
and most can be replaced by the modern equivalents with little fuss (most
have been replaced in my Overlander).  The original refrigerator was a
Dometic gas/electric, the original furnace was an International Oil Burner
(Suburban makes a modern replacement that fit well in my coach), the
original water pump was a Peters and Russell (PAR, and they are still in
business making virtaully the same pump), the original power converter was a
Univolt (still available from your Airstream dealer but manufactured by a
different company), the original water heater was a Bowen 10-gallon (Atwood
makes the modern replacement in either 6-gallon or 10-gallon - I went with
6-gallon on my coach which necessitated modification to the original opening
to make it smaller), the original air conditioner if so equipped would have
been an Armstrong Bay Breeze (there isn't a true modern equivalent, but
there are a number of options available depending upon whether you want to
maintain the condesate drain or not), the original toilet was a china bowl
unit that I believe was produced by Thetford (Thetford no longer makes a
china replacement so far as I am aware, but there are several plastic
alternatives or Sealand produces a china bowl unit that is quite similar to
the original from what I have heard - - I have a Thetford Aqua-Magit IV in
my Overlander),  the original faucet sets were by Moen (or at least they
were in my Overlander - - it has been speculated that the source could
vary), I believe that the 4-burner range in my Overlander is a Magic Chef
(but this is from memory and since I haven't had to make repairs can't say
definitely as it isn't listed in my notebook).

I have known my Overlander since it was new as it was in the possession of
friends' of my family from 1964 through 1980.  When I purchased it very
little had been changed from original despite it having passed through the
hands of two other owners following my acquaintances.  I also have most if
not all of the original literature that came with the coach.

Good luck with your Overlander!

Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.10
Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter
V8/2.70 Final Drive)