Re: [VAL] Introduction

Greetings Bob!

The Minuet 6.0 Metre (20 foot in the brochure and by the VIN) is an
interesting coach.  So far as from all reports that I have heard, each of
these 6.0 Metre coaches has a composite aluminum floor that is riveted to
the chassis - - mine has this feature as has all other 6.0 Metre Minuet
coaches that I have had the opportunity to investigate.  This floor systems
poses none of the rot problems associated with the plywood flooring of the
larger coaches, but it does in some of the coaches develop a sag related to
usage patters (it doesn't seem to impact that serviceability of the coaches
according to owner reports).  The one limitation that the aluminum composite
flooring does produce is that it limits your floor covering selection to
either carpeting or floating floor systems with the thicker padding
underlayment (Armstrong calls their Quiet Step).

Minuets have a number of peculiarities.  Another that doesn't always become
immediately obvious is the width.  The Minuet is narrower than the standard
coaches by about 7".  The 6.0 Metre Minuet has an Empty Weight of 2,450
pounds with a empty hitch weight of 395 pounds.  With its Armstrong floating
Laminate flooring system, Coleman Air Conditioner, front window rock guard,
and entertainment package, my 6.0 Metre Minuet has and empty weight 2,650
pounds.  Fully loaded for a trip, the trailer has a Gross Weight of 3,100
pounds and a hitch weight of 550 pounds.

Most Minuet owners with whom I have corresponded have had to have their
DuraTorque axles replaced.  We seem to be about evenly divided between those
who went with the same specifications as the original and those like myself
who went with one that was upgraded (mine is rated at 500 pounds more
capacity than the original).  More often than not, it seems that the axle is
worn to the point of needing replacement on most of the Minuet 6.0 Metres
with which I have had contact.

The other issue that is often not considered is the lack of factory rock
guards for the front windows on Minuets.  The only way to protect the
expensive to replace wing windows is with a custom rock guard.  The usual
method is to customize the rock guards currently being used on
Airstreams - - the wing sections are identical, but the center section is
some 7"+ narrower and must be cut down and reassembled when the rock guard
is installed on the coach.

The plumbing can also be a little quirky when first examined.  The coach
came from the factory with a gray water tank, but it as well as the black
water tank are mounted on top of the floor.  Not a particular issue with the
black water tank, but with the gray water tank, it means that the only gray
water collected is that produced by the kitchen sink and the bathroom vanity
sink.  A portable "blue" tank is necessary for the shower gray water.
Several 6.0 Metre owners, and I am one, have had to have new toilets as the
water valves in the original Thetford seem to be a problem - - the closest
current replacement does require some minor modification to the base to
support the outer perimeter of the replacement toilet's base (at least on my
coach).

This may have been particular to my coach due to its well-worn axle, but the
dump-valve drop-out had been damaged (probably more than once) in the past.
In fact, in the year that I towed it before having the axle replaced, the
drop-out was damaged three times by gradual inclines leading either to or
from a gas station.  With the minimal ground clearance of the coach
(especially if the axle is well worn) dictates the hitch height be carefully
leveled to keep from excessively dragging the rear of the coach when
navigating any kind of drive with an incline.

I have owned my 6.0 Metre Minuet for almost 18-months.  The little coach is
very enjoyable to use and I really like the twin lounge layout - - it makes
for a very roomy feeling in such a small coach.  While I can't say that my
coach has been trouble-free, it has been a joy to tow and very practical to
own.

Since the endcaps are galvanized steel, repairing the damage that you noted
would require what would essentially be common body shop procedures.  You
can even find the paint codes to match the original Argosy colors by doing a
search of the Archives at http://www.tompatterson.com.   You will also find
that all of the Minuets had demand type water systems with a fresh water
tank of approximately 30 gallons.  The water heater was the standard
6-gallon LP Atwood.  Pre-wiring for the air conditioner may or may not be
present - - it was an option on the 6.0 Metre Minuet at least according to
the paperwork that came with my coach that was purchased from the original
owner (a blank outlet cover on the ceiling identified the presence of this
option).

I have a copy of the 1979 Argosy Minuet sales brochure posted at:
http://www.airstreamphotos.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/3766/size/big/password//sort/1/cat/500
When you mention streetside kitchen, it makes it sound as if what you might
be looking at is a 7.3 Metre Minuet (or 24 foot).  If this is the case, it
would be one of what seems to be the lower production Minuets.  A sure trait
would be if it has tandem axles as the 7.3 Metre is the only tandem axle
minuet.  The 6.0 Metre and 6.7 Metre (22 foot) Minuets both had single
axles.  What I have written other than weights and about the aluminum
composite floor would apply to both the 6.7 and 7.3 Metre Minuets - - by
following the link above, you will be able to see the empty weights for all
three Minuet coaches as well as the standard floor plans.  From owner
reports, it seems that only the 6.0 Metre coaches had the universal use of
composite aluminum flooring, while some of the 6.7 Metre coach owners have
reported aluminum composite with others reporting plywood flooring, and none
of the 7.3 Metre coach owners have reported flooring other than plywood.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.10
Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter
V8/2.70 Final Drive)