[VAL] Airstream/Air Tram photo/Fraser River Canyon

I think that the vehicle air-tram in Tom's photo probably was taken near
Boston Bar, B.C. - on the TransCanada #1 - in the Fraser River
Canyon just north of Hell's Gate.

At that point in the canyon - the highway is on the east side of the canyon -
as is the town of Boston Bar.  Across the river is North Bend and Keefers.

Tiny little places - a few farms and the ever present railroad - and if memory
serves me - a logging facility at North Bend.  It's been at least 10 years since
I last led a tour through that area (I used to drive the Fraser River Canyon
on Hwy 1 twice a month from May-Sept) but as I remember North Bend
was a place where the logging operations pulled rafts of logs that were
"free-floated" down the river...to North Bend.  At that point they had to
be hooked and pulled out as the log rafts would not survive the rough
water of Hell's Gate.  The logs were transferred to the train at that
point. At that point in the Canyon - it would be the Canadian Pacific
tracks on the North Bend side and the Canadian National tracks on the
Boston Bar side.  (the story of  which company got there first and who got
which side of the river is a good story...too long for here...)

So - the air tram at that point was not for heavy traffic - the railroad would
have taken care of commericial traffic - it was just for local access to a
tiny little area deep in the canyon.

At some point - a bridge was built adjacent to that vehicle air-tram and the
tram was shut down.  However - they did not remove the base station on
the west side of the river (across the river from Hwy 1).  As I remember
the last time I drove the Canyon about 10 years ago - the air-tram base
station was still there.

That is more than you probably wanted to know...RL