[VAL] 65 Globe Trotter heater

Greetings,
The heater in my recently purchased 65 Globe Trotter is discharging smoke
and odor form the vent (exterior). The smoke is white and the smell is very
much like burning plastic. I have a feeling that some critter may have set
up camp in the vent while the trailer was being stored by the PO, perhaps
nesting in shredded trash bags (pure speculation). The heater is a Carlson
Vented Recessed Heater, Model No. 12M (radiant). I would like to
inspect/clean the heating chamber and vent but am not sure how to proceed. I
disconnected the gas line and removed the screws that secure the heater to
the cabinet and gently pulled the heater forward (out of the cabinet) while
my son observed the vent from the outside. The heater moved about 1/4", and
the skin pulled inwards about the same amount. It appears the exhaust tube
may be attached to the vent cover, which is riveted to the skin. If anyone
on the list has experience with these heaters I would sure appreciate some
direction.
Thanks in advance,
Wyn
65 GT in Reno