Re: [VAL] Spare Tire Mounting Hardware

Hi David:

I carry my spare behind the propane tanks.  I didn't fabricate anything.
The tire rides on the equalizer hitch chain pull-up brackets.  I placed an
eye bolt through one of the lug holes in the rim facing backwards and clip
two dog-type chains to it, connecting the other ends to places on the
pull-up brackets to prevent the tire from getting away.  I cover the tire
with one of those spare tire covers that are available anywhere (mine is
black).  Finally, I placed 2 bungee cords from behind where the chains are,
around the sides of the tire/cover, and hook them to the gas bottle handle
holes on either side. This keeps the tire pressed up agains the tanks to
prevent contact with the front sheet metal of the trailer.  It has worked
very well for a number of years now and I think it looks pretty good.

In '67 the tanks were mounted sufficiently forward and on top of the A-frame
to do this.  A '68 I looked at had the tanks further back and mounted down
between the A-frame channels so there wan't room to allow it.  The A-frame
was also different from mine in that it was spread out and could accomodate
the bottles. Yours like this?  If so, my method wouldn't work without some
hefty modifications.

I'll send you a photo of mine.

GQ '67 Safari
4082 in CA