Re: [VAL] refrigerator access door

Hi Kelly,

As a restorer with a '69 Safari, I can tell you that all the hatches on my
Safari have the "T" handle locks.  Of course none work!  They long ago
corroded into useless items to break keys.  That said, the latches from
later model Airstream are more functional as they are recessed and have
practical locks.  Not period correct, but worth considering hatch covers
from other salvage trailers, Argosy to be specific.  Inland RV might have
the specific special channel that is used for the hinge.

The hatch covers are frequently lost because the owners fail to use
something like cable ties to assure that the cover would not be lost even if
it opened during travel.  A wise addition to your remaining covers.
Especially the rear service hatch cover.

While my hatch covers should have been curved to match the contour of the
exterior, they were manufactured flat.  You can buy flat stock aluminum from
an Airstream dealer that will nearly match your unit, unless you've polished
the exterior.  Anyway, you have a pattern in the charger compartment hatch
cover.  It should be possible to construct a new hatch cover.

Just a guess, but the access door should be identical for all the Beatrice
models if Airstream was into contract purchase of components.  Wouldn't make
much sense to make a special hatch cover for each length of Airstream.
Suggests as mentioned before that you should find an Airstream Salvage yard.

BTW, is your Safari a single or tandem axle unit?  Mine is a single axle and
I have a Dexter replacement axle for the Henchen OEM axle.  '69 wasn't a
good year for Henchen torsion axles as the rubber should be deteriorated in
all Safari of this vintage.  Bad torsion axles will allow the axle to bottom
during road imperfections and the jar could loosen many accessories, such
as, hatch covers, rivets, etc.

One day, I may have my unit on the road.  It has a sign, "Under
Construction" posted and the completion date is unknown. :)  Florida units
need a sign posted with the "For Sale", "Extensive Water Damage, Buy With
Caution!"

Just my thoughts from the left coast - Vallejo, CA.  Hope to be back in
Virginia in a few days where I can become inspired with Safari restoration.
:)

                     Regards,  '69 Safari, Joy