[VAL] Re: Pearl is Home!

Hi All,

I wish I could say it was an uneventful trip to Jackson Center but
then, it wouldn't be my kind of road trip! Yep, the Suburban died. I
made the 12 hour trip on Sun. to the plant with no problems. Left at
5AM pulled in at 3:30PM. (after a stop at Garden Ridge looking for
those damn Flamingo's that light up!! Out of stock) Next morning,
(don't worry I'm getting to Pearl!!) got up early to get first in line
for service and the Suburban was dead. Mind you when I last spoke to
the Chevy service manager, the problem he said was with the remote
start and not with the truck. I had the starter disconnected so I made
the trip thinking I was OK. (in hind site, I was lucky it didn't die on
the way!) I called the alarm guy, he said, Hey with the disconnect it
couldn't be the remote start. I then called the Chevy service dept. and
was told that on Fri. the only way they could start the Sub was to
crawl under the engine and BANG the starter motor while cranking the
ignition key!!!!! Yeah, they let me drive to Ohio, knowing I went to
tow a trailer back, with the start problem unsolved! So, four Airstream
mechanics came out to the terraport to help me start the truck and the
youngest guy who had been a truck mechanic, crawled under the Sub and
banged the starter motor while I cranked the ignition key! Started
right up! With it running I knew I couldn't turn it off again so  the
Sub was ON from 10AM till 2Am the next day when I got home!!!!!!! (when
I stopped for gas I left the truck running and used the "facilities" in
Pearl!)

On to Pearl! The plant did an outstanding job accomplishing everything
on my wish list! My 54 Flying Cloud now has: black/grey holding tank,
12 volt system with converter, air conditioner, two Fantastic Fans,
fresh water holding tank, pump, all new wiring, TV antenna, Zip Dee
awning, new step, new tires with rims, axle, electric jack, BAL
stabilizers, electric brakes, brake-a-way wire, new circuit breakers,
new electrical outlet with cord, hot water heater, new Dometic 2-way
fridge, new mattress, new sub flooring, Reese stabilizers, installed
the propane fireplace I had sent, and numerous small stuff like
replacing non-aluminum rivets, waste hose carrier under the belly, new
facets in bath and kitchen, new Sealand toilet, replacing gaskets, they
did it all!!!!!!!! AND they went above and beyond making shelves in the
closets for me, a spot above the new fridge for a microwave, a table
around the fresh water tank to put the TV on. Really personal touches!
I can't say enough about the service dept.! The trailer is all I ever
hoped it could be!  All that's left is for me is to polish her!! I'm
very happy that I left her at the plant last Aug. It was a long winter
waiting but so worth it! I slept in her Sun. night and got to try
everything out before meeting with the service dept. Mon. morning. (it
was 17 deg.!!! really worked out the new propane fireplace!) Rick
(service manager) and Wayne (service tech. guy who did the work) went
over everything with me before I left. I felt that they take great
pride in the work they do and did everything possible to make me happy!
I'd highly recommend Airstream for any vintage service work as long as
you are willing to have it done during the winter, the slower time, so
that they can take the time needed to do the work properly.

Oh, by the way, I not only saw Wally's gold trailer BUT I got to go
inside!!! I took digital photo's so when I come up for air I'll post
them somewhere for all to see along with pictures of Pearl.

Patti (very tired but happy!)