Re: [VAL] side winder jack

Hey Scott:

You got me thinking about my jack, which is making some pretty ominous
noises lately and very difficult to crank (yeah, I lubricated it).  Anyhow,
I was given a cast-off sidewinder jack which came from a pal who got an
electic one.  So I took a look at it just now and found that it is rated for
1000#.  Several things now come to mind:

1.  You have to be careful that what you replace your jack with has a column
diameter that will fit through the hole in the A-frame gusset otherwise you
will find yourself grinding it out so that the jack will fit through. The
bolt circle and hole size should be looked at too.

2.  I am comfortable with the 1000# rating for my application (Safari 22 /
398# nominal hitch weight).  I am trying to imagine why you would need to
jack up the back of the truck in order to install the spring bars.  On mine,
as long as I don't place any trailer load on the ball, I can pull the chain
brackets up.  I do persuade them a little with an 18" hunk of pipe used as a
lever.  But it takes very little force and they pop right on.  THEN I lower
the trailer load down onto the ball (truck) and the spring bars do their
thing.  So I can't figure out why you would need to lift the truck in order
to install the bars and hence require more than a 2000# jack.

Am I missing something here?  I am just curious if you don't mind.

Oh, and one other thing.  Normally, I can lower the tailgate and it nearly
lays down so I can get in the back of the truck or get stuff out etc.  It
eventually hits the jack column.  I have a plastic bed liner type cover on
the tailgate that doesn't mangle either much.  What I nearly missed is that
if I installed the sidewinder jack the handle will be facing forward and I
will have to be very careful and make sure it is in the "up" position or I
will do a number on the tailgate when I open it.  That one was kind of
subtle.

Later,

GQ '67 Safari
4082 in CA

PS:  Lately I've helped several members of my unit hitch up that had
electric jacks and I must say that it is a VERY pleasant experience
(wouldn't hit my tailgate either....hmmmm)