[VAL] frame repair

Hi,
I have a 53 Flying Cloud I'm getting ready for the road. I have the belly
pan off and am contemplating strengthening the frame. I would like to know
if anyone has done this to their Airstream and how was it done. I was going
to use steel channel smaller than the present channel and weld it to the
inside of the frame. Looking at the frame it appears the weakest area would
be from the hitch to the first spring perch.

I also could weld a plate onto the open side of the channel but this would
take more time than the U style channel to do. Anyone have any comments?
Thanks,
Bob Patterson