[VAL] Re: VAL Digest V1 #176 - Battery voltage

Storage batteries are nothing to be careless with!
I once had an old 6V car battery from a MGA that was shot. It sat around
for years. Once I thought I would just see if it had any voltage left. It
registered over 12V on my high sensitivity (1000W/volt) meter. Yet the
slightest load dropped the voltage to a fraction of a volt. Years later I
accidentally dropped a piece of nickel silver model train rail, which
fell onto the battery and ended up across the posts. The rail lit up
bright orange for a fraction of a second and, melting, fell through the
tar top of the battery, setting the tar on fire.
Al