RE: [VAL] Re: VAL water heater under bed

Ruth,
I slept over the water heater in my '60 many years.  Should be no gas
leakage as long as the unit was installed properly.  The water heater
cabinet is sealed from the interior of the camper.  It is important that the
seal remains intact.  The place to watch out for is where the wiring and gas
line go from the camper to the heater.  That area should be sealed with some
sort of sealant.  If you are going to replace the unit my preference is to
get a unit with electronic ignition vice one that uses a pilot light.  That
way there is no flame present while the unit is not operating.  My $.02
worth.
Pete