Re: [VAL] Frame Seperation

Hi William,

Just a short word of advice you didn't ask for.  Airstream restoration is a
long term commitment and seldom allows use of the unit.  Some do by tearing
out the bathroom, replacing the floor, and securing the frame to the
monocoque, and then just use the trailer san bathroom/holding tank.  But
like other issues, allowing the holding tank to bounce in a deteriorated
housing ruins the foam around the tank, breaks the toilet and air vent
outlets, etc.  Best to remove the housing/tank, etc. along with the bath and
work on things at your leisure.  Use a Blue Boy to catch gray water and a
porta potty for other issuances. :)

All this said, "I" would always buy a serviceable travel trailer to do what
you bought the Airstream for - to camp!  The Airstream will be for learning
maintenance and restoration for one to two years.  Then sell the serviceable
travel trailer and do your thing in the restored Airstream.

This is the reason I bought the '74 Argosy as it seemed road worthy.  Found
out later that it is marginal, but I'm using it anyway.  Might try to sell
it later this year to recover some of my investment.  Everything works
except for a nagging open ground for a front DC light circuit, and the fold
out step.  Just to show how much work goes into these things.  I observed
that pex plumbing was installed (not so, just made to look like it was
installed) so, I had to replace all plumbing, pump, water heater, and repair
the commode as a replacement is not available.  Replace one gate valve on
the black water tank, constantly repair lighting fixtures inside and out,
keep replacing rivets from an improperly installed roof AC, try to find the
zillion leaks from loose skin rivets, change out the charger,  .  .  .
Well, you get the idea.  One leak that took me a long time to find was holes
drilled under the Argosy name plate!  Someone moved the plate for more
secure mounting and didn't fill the old holes.  Never know about previous
owner fixes. :(

Well, I should talk.  I've invented a zillion ways to get the job done that
aren't covered in any manual.  Like removing the bathroom paneling to get at
the rear light bezel wires.  Learned that a "rotozip" with a metal cutting
bit works wonders on cutting out sections of interior skin.  Well, it does
well for some floor repairs where a circular saw just won't fit.  Only way
I've found to remove the floor between the inverted aluminum "U" at the
bottom of the monocoque and the out riggers or frame is with an electric
drill and patience.

Gotta go as I think the Safari is calling me .  .  .

Regards,

                                                                   '69
Safari, Joy