[VAL] Re: VAL Digest V1 #153 - PVC

PVC (and CPVC) splits along the length of the pipe if it bursts, unlike
copper, which pops in one spot (the last place in a pipe run that froze).
The poly (PEX) pipe stretches slightly, which usually will accommodate
freezing, especially if there is no water pressure in it when it freezes.
Poly can be joined wither with crimps, which are cheap and trim but use
an expensive crimping tool, or with compression fittings, which are
expensive and bulky but require no special tools.
Frozen PVC is replaced everywhere there was water in it while frozen
copper is repaired at the spots that are popped. PVC (and CPVC) are
rather brittle, especially when they are a few years old. I've replaced a
fair amount of PVC and CPVC under rental units that froze and under
rental units that had the copper stolen.
Of course we shouldn't let our pipes freeze, but.....
Al