[VAL] Re: VAL Digest V1 #153

Stuart, We too just put down the self adhesive vinyl tiles from Home Depot.
Ours were not Armstrong, but according to our saleperson, of comparable quality
(sorry, the name eludes me.) They went down wonderfully, and we finished the
job feeling very satisfied (and impressed) with our amatuer work.

However, in our case, our gloating was short-lived. 24 hours after
installation, the tiles shrunk and most were loose! Since we followed manufacturers
instructions to the letter (and also spent days on subfloor preparation) we called
Home Depot, then the Manufacturers Rep.  We live in the Midwest with avg
temps of 20-30 degrees. The Manu. Rep said that it was likely due to the cold
weather -- recommended that the tiles should have been kept above 65 degrees for
48-72 hours after installation to allow the floor to seal (he admitted the
instructions do not say this). He suggested we pull up the tiles and re-install
using a thin coat of Armstrong's adhesive, which we did. This time, we went to
great lengths to keep the floor above 65 degrees for 72 hours+. This time, upon
re-exposure to the cold, we had the same shrinkage and still a few (not
nearly as many) loose tiles.

We have made peace with the floor, as we must pick and choose our battles in
life. We are planning a trip to Florida in March and spring promises to follow
soon after; we are holding all hopes (as is the Manufacturers Rep) that with
the warmth, will come better adherence to the subfloor. In the meantime, we
are doing our best to keep it clean.

We went with oak quarter-round along the bottom since we only had straight
edges to contend with (we didn't replace the bathroom vinyl.) All in all, the
floor really does look great and despite our frustrations, was a relatively easy
way to go. I suspect you will be more successful in your efforts since you
don't experience the wide fluctuations in temperatures. Good luck!

Molly Kelley
'69 Safari