Re: [VAL] I need a Gaucho

hey glyn
the wood sliders you refer to are the only thing somewhat sophisticated.
although i have not examimed them closely, they are some sort of t&g setup.
i am going to re-do my side gaucho using the plans outlined in arlen
mannings website http://home.att.net/%7Eglobetrotter64/index.htm as i need
to extend the bed beyond its stock width. his plans will accommodate this
change. you should check out his site if you have not. i have no metal
channel as you describe although i had the idea to install one. there is a
wood stringer fastened to the wall to do the same purpose. the "arm rest"
you refer to is where the curbside of the gaucho terminates. it also houses
the table. as i recall, the table slides forward toward the door on some
metal track and once it clears the end of the "armrest", it lifts up on a
hinge and you fold down the table leg. the hinges and door fasteners are
most likely going to be used in my project. the wood in my trailer is made
up of hardwood face construction...mostly 1x2 and 1x3 hardwood, some maple
and some oak. all the sheet goods are plywood and plywood veneer. the veneer
as well as the hardwood were done is some sort of pickled or white washed
blonde type stain. i am convinced that the veneers are ash and some oak.
after removing some of the original opaque whitish stain, i applied a nice
light golden oak with a wipe on poly finish coat and i think it looks much
nicer. the grain patterns really come out. i have read in a number of
postings that the veneers were birch as well as what you had heard but they
do not look like any birch that i have ever seen. i reside in colorado, a
long way from santa monica. we can do further discussions off site. my
reasoning in posting for all to see was to possibly get you some feedback on
my gaucho vs the gaucho that you might have had originally. is it the same
or close...i do not know as i am new to airstreaming. thanks
harry
66 safari