Re: [VAL] I need a Gaucho

    Harry,

    I'd be very interested in talking further with you about your Gaucho.  I
thought that there were pretty sophisticated wood sliders that allowed it to
be pulled out for use as a berth.  Am I mistaken on this?

    I seem to remember seeing somewhere (can't remember where) that there's
a long metal U channel mounted on its side, the length of the front window
and way below it, that accepts the wood structure and plywood of the Gaucho.
As I recall, it's screwed into the inner skin and adds obvious strength to
the flimsy frame you speak of.  Did you remember such a metal piece?

    How about the wood arm rest on the street side, do you have that too?

    The table and all the hardware of course is another story and I'd also
be very interested in talking more about that.

    I'm pretty sure that my 1969 Caravel is 4 inches wider than the
equivalent 1966 version but don't know how it compares to a 1966 Safari.  I
just went out to the back yard and measured the inner width.  It's 90 3/8"
or 7' 6 3/8" wide.  I measured just forward of the door, inner skin to inner
skin.

    I'd also be interested in the hinges and cabinet doors too.  What color
is the wood?  It really doesn't make that much difference as I could,
without too much hassle, match whatever you have to my interior.  Mine was a
blonde color, factory applied over a very light wood veneer with good grain
pattern.  I'd say it was birch but for the interesting grain structure that
I don't often see on birch plywood at the lumber yard.

    The immediate previous owners' wife took a rag saturated with a heavy
brown pigmented stain to all that beautiful wood, completely obscuring the
grain.  Think deck stain and you've got the goop she wiped all over the
interior.  I successfully removed the majority of it with acetone on a rag
and at least brought the grain back.  I then applied Interlux marine satin
varnish to the entire interior, the result being a little less red than
teak, but still quite attractive.  That alone took me the better part of two
weeks of solid work.  What a job, what a nightmare!

    Anyhow, enough of my troubles, let's talk.  Where are you located?  I'm
in Santa Monica CA.

    Thanks for contacting me,

    Glyn

    Glyn Judson