Re: [VAL] Battery of tongue

Jim,

I recently reconfigured the hitch/"A" frame on the Globe Trotter to
accommodate the battery down within the "A" frame area.  After examining the
structural integrity of the A-frame I reinforced said frame with 3" x 5"
angle irons back inside the belly skin.  The resulting ledge created by the
overlap of the 3" segment allowed a nice ledge on which to mount a battery
box.  My thoughts still return to the scenario of a spark from the battery,
igniting a possible gas leak from the gas bottles.

However I think there is ample air flow around the bottles and the battery
box, which may indeed be the saving factor.  Case in point:  When I
initially examined the gas system I found a line fitting on the belly pan
exterior that was cracked and had been leaking gas for who knows how long
and apparently had not ignited.

I now realize that the gases from the battery chamber in our Overlander may
have on several occasions given us headaches.  I used to lay in bed and
listen to the battery boiling and remember some distinct odor of acid in the
battery chamber area.

For what its worth....GAS