[VAL] 65 Overlander progress report

Hello again to all,

I have just spent several hours, over several days, on
the belly pan. I bought what has to be one of the best
tool investments that I have ever made. I bought an
air riveter. Such a time and pain saver!!! Pulls 3/16"
alum/alum rivets so easily compared to doing it by
hand. It is now fully back up, all holes patched, and
looks much better. I plan on sanding and painting the
axles as well as putting a couple of coats of cold
galvanizing alum. paint on the pan itself. This is the
kind of work that takes a lot of time, but will be
well worth it R/T maintenance down the road. So much
work never is seen but is such an integral part in
restoring one of these beauties that we love.
I have the floor down and figured how to replace it
without disrupting the skin. I took the old rotted
piece out (what was left of it) and made a template
out of a sheet of 1/4" fiber board, the slick smooth
kind. Used this because it was the cheapest and only
to be used one time anyway.
I decided to cut the 5/8 plywood, (exterior grade,
could not find marine) over a floor joist so I could
piece it together. I laid my skil saw blade at about a
20 degree angle and cut it so I could match it up over
a floor joist. Remember boys and girls, as my old
daddy used to say "Measure twice, cut once"
Having followed dad's advice for once, it actually
worked. Now I won't lie and tell you that it was easy.
It even took a few well placed licks with a
sledgehammer to a scrap block of wood screwed to the
flooring to get it in place, but it's in and looks
good, if I do say so myself. I cut the angle running
front to back so it meets up over a wide joist. What
the angle does is give the second smaller piece
clearance to go in. You cut it so the first, bigger
piece has the angle going up, ie. the top of the
plywood is shorter than the bottom.
Thinking ahead for once in this project, I coated the
bottom of the plywood and the edges, ESPECIALLY the
edges, with 2 coats of fiberglass resin before
installation. I initially used elevator bolts, but I
did't like the way they pulled, not strong enough.
Plus, they begin to rust on the bottom almost at once.
I went back to the trusty Lowe's and bought galvanized
lag screws and am well pleased with the result. Man,
they really built these things to last, and naturally
I had to improve and add a few extra bolts. I bolted
the channel through the belly skin, pulling the bolts
right through the skin and patched with a few small
patches, and while not purist restoration, it works
and saved much time and headaches. Next on the list is
getting a rear access door from Andy at Inland RV,
this will let me get it really water tight and then I
will start putting the interior alum. panels back it.
While not foolish enough to think it will be finished
next week, I am beginning to see light at the end of
the tunnel. She is going to be SO COOOOOOL when
completed. Haven't got a name for her yet, but will
know it when we hear it.
So much more has gone on, but this has gone on long
enough. Good night and happy trails to all.