RE: [VAL] Floor replacement

> Q:  Since I have already removed the belly pan would it not
> make sense just to pull the body off the frame/floor to sand
> blast and paint the frame & then replace the floor?  Are
> there any draw backs to body removal vs using plywood spacers?

Pro Removal: Easier to cut and install the new flooring and insulation
and repair the frame - great time and way to install holding tanks
between the frames (over the axle)
Con: Shell is very unwieldy when not attached, and actually kinda heavy
(Airstream installed with out windows, etc). Need overhead lift and
space to drive out from under the shell.  Hard to align newly cut
plywood floor to the correct edge of the frames and the curvature.  Many
more skin fasteners required to be removed. Exposed to elements while
replacing if done outdoors - just ask Wayne Moore:
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/wam52/lst?&.dir=/%2765+Caravel

> Q: The existing plywood is in such poor condition in the
> front and rear I will not be able to use is as a template for
> the new floor.  If I remove the body, would it be best to use
> the C channel as my template for the new floor, or is there a
> better way?

With the shell all wiggling around, it may be hard to use it as a
template, this is one of the cons.

> Q; I am planning to put a new belly pan on.  I would assume I
> would use the old pan as a template?  How difficult is it to
> put on a NEW pan?  Should it be "pre- bent" or .....

Use the old as a template to cut the new. If it is a simple wrap up, no
need to bend.  If it is a preformed corner, best bet is try and splice
it back in, or you may have to kerf-cut the edge to get it to wrap
around the corners.

> Q; What should I put between the frame and the new plywood
> floor?  Fiberglass? or is there a better material?  I have
> also read putting Styrofoam under the floor?

Unfaced fiberglass batts seem to work the best.

> Q: I would like to replace one lower outer skin panel of the
> 1956 Caravaneer (very front lower panel).  What is my best
> bet?  Can I find a panel of this aluminum make up?  Would
> Airstream have anything without plastic-coat?

The front panel is flat, good choice to replace. It is a little thicker
than the rest of the exterior to withstand roaddamage.  .040 2024-T3
from airparts.com is one source.

Best of luck,
RJ Dial