From: RCPitt1@aol.com
To: tomp@tompatterson.com
Sent: Thursday, September 25, 2003 3:05 PM
Subject: Argosy AC Installation Photos

Hello Mr. Patterson,

    I read your post today in the VAL concerning posting photos on your new
photo gallery and thought that I would send you three shots of the A/C
installation I completed this summer in my 1973 Argosy 20 ft. trailer I know
that the topic of adding A/C units has come up from time to time this summer.
Since I'm not a VAC member, I don't think that I could post the pictures
directly to your new site but, if you like, you may do so.
    In my case, I didn't want the expense of a roof-mounted RV A/C unit, nor
did I want to lose one of my two roof vents. I also didn't want to permanently
change the construction of the Argosy. The interior window screen has been
removed and stored. In its place is a piece of 16 ga stainless steel with an
opening slightly larger than the 5200 btu window air conditioner I bought for
this project. The A/C units rides in the tow vehicle and is held in place,
when needed, with lever-operated clamps (no tools). I simply lift it into
place and my wife, inside the camper, locks the six clamps. There's also a 1/4
dia. steel rod that runs from the outboard edge of the A/C to the juncture of
the camper rear with the storage area at the bumper. Pieces of 1/4 in. square
AL bar with holes slightly bigger than the rod were added to the A/C unit and
the gap between camper and storage area door. For light when the A/C unit is
in place, small Plexiglass windows were added to two additional holes cut in
the stainless panel, one above and one to the side of the A/C opening. I made
a screen (from a scrap storm door screen) for the A/C opening, held by the
same clamping system, for use when the A/C is not needed.
    If needed, I can convert the unit back to its original condition in about
30 minutes, leaving only the two small holes at the bumper area for the
support rod bar.
    Although this summer was cool and wet, and, thus, we didn't get a real
good trial of this set-up, I think that it will be ideal for us, as it blows
right down the center of the camper, rear-to-front.
    Again, you're very welcome to use this on your site if you think there
would be any interest to the group. Let me know if you have any questions.

Richard Pittenger
Troy, Ohio
1973, 20' Argosy
1983 3/4 T Suburban