RE: [VAL] building A/S cabinetry

It was still the same three species.  The only variations over the years
was the birch plywood and framing of the '40's and '50's and the walnut
veneer introduced in the 1970's.  Maybe one of these days Tom Walden
will get his book or website done showing original finishes and
materials :>)

A few interesting notes.  Airstream used true Mahogany in the 1960's
before the realization that the Central American rain forests were being
depleted.  The Philippine "Mahogany" available nowadays won't match the
grain and color at all. Alternative when repairing such cabinetry is the
really expensive stuff grown on C.A. plantations.

One of the finishes available from Airstream was a "pickled" (whitewash)
type of finish.  What is interesting about it is the species of wood
used under this seems to be all over the spectrum: oak, birch & ash and
usually all mixed.

There have been reports from people of elm being used, but no Catalogs
show that as an option, and since it can be confused with other light
woods, I think it can be discounted due to its commercial rarity by the
1960's.

If anyone has any additional information on cabinetry species, I'm
always open for ideas to update the FAQ section.

RJ Dial
VintageAirstream.com