Re: [VACList] Another hand item to carry

We just returned from our first long trip with the Overlander -- a 760 mile
jaunt from Iowa City to the Black Hills.  I'd done a little work on the
trailer (new brake controller) and lots of work on the tow vehicle, but the
tires on both, while still good, are not new.  As it turns out, everything
was fine tire-wise.  I ran the trailer tires at max inflation and actually
over-inflated the van tires beyond that stated maximum at the suggestion of
a long-time tire dealer, who said that you can inflate your tires 5 pounds
above the stated maximum without worries.  Even running hard over I-90 with
temps around 100 degrees the tires were just a bit warm.

Nevertheless, I couldn't decide what to do in advance to prepare for tire
trouble, so I just did nothing other than what I described.  I have a
decent electric pump, but it runs on 110v.  I think your suggestion of a
12v pump is a good one.  I think before the next long trip I'll also pack
one of those fix-a-flat aerosols and purchase a new trailer tire and tube
to carry in the van.

Joel W.
Iowa City, Iowa
1966 Overlander