[VACList] Reese Dual Cam, question

Hello everyone.
I have a question concerning the shackles on my Reese Dual Cam which now hit
the ground while entering/exiting some areas. I have a 1973 Ambassador (29')
and tow with a Suburban 4X4. I now have an adjustable hitch head set at 18.5
inches which makes the trailer real level now, this height is what is listed
in the owners manual. I am miffed as to why it should be hitting at all. Towing
it with my 88 Chevy 4X4, I never noticed it hitting or dragging, but of course
I had a welded hitch head that was way to high (2 inches higher).
Should I tilt the head some or something to reduce the number of links used? Now
I have it cinched in at 5 links. If I tilt the head more to gain clearance how
will it affect the performance of the dual cam setup?
    Any and all info is appreciated.
Thanks
Bobby
'73 Ambassador