[VACList] Vintage Awning Attachment Ideas

Howdy, Again,
OK, I have this old Argosy with the little awning tube that you're supposed
to slide the awning through - thread it through.  It takes one of those
awnings that has a small diameter rope threaded through one end with the
ends hanging out; you take one of those ends and pull the awning through the
awning slot.  Can you say, "hassle", boys and girls?  (May Mr. Rogers' soul
rest in peace).

My question is this:  What better ideas for using this original get-up has
anyone come up with - or can anyone come up with something better?

I am debating cutting the awning I have about 6" below the top, all the way
across, and putting grommets into that new bottom edge and leaving that in
the trailer slot all the time.  Then, I can put grommets into the new top
edge of the remaining awning, whicih will be stored away while traveling,
and hook the two together when setting up camp.

I would appreciate any and all ideas you experienced people have.

Elisa Miro, proud new owner of a 76 Argosy 20' dinette front, which is
getting a LOT of care before we go on the road