Re: [VACList] Midsize SUV

Dr G.,

The problem with a long trailer and a short wheel base tow vehicle is not in
stopping. It is in the tendancy for the trailer to control the tow vehicle.
It is plain physics, that's all. Attend "The physics of towing" seminar at
the International Rally. It is all spelled out plainly by a physics
professor with a PhD.

I have a long (26') trailer with only 1 axle. I have towed it for nearly 20
years now. I know from experience the difference that wheel base and tow
vehicle weight makes. The heavier and the longer the wheel base, the mare
stable the vehicle is at highway speeds. No if's and's or but's. It is just
the way it is.

I have tried and succeded towing with a light weight short wheel base
vehicle. It can be done. However it was a white knuckle experience with
nearly every passing truck. I now have a large heavy tow vehicle with a long
wheel base. The difference is night and day.

Scott Scheuermann